The process of selling goods and services to state government is increasingly cumbersome, with more businesses, including M/WBEs, bypassing this significant business opportunity. New York needs to make the procurement process more efficient, while assuring fair and reasonable bids. New York should:
- Provide “rules of engagement” for the business/vendor community on Strategic Sourcing which will enable them to adequately plan for new bids
- Work with the Administration to ensure necessary information exchange between vendors and the Administration
- Promote piggybacking on GSA schedules by municipalities and school districts, as authorized by 2011 mandate relief procurement reforms
- Streamline M/WBE certification process to encourage moreNew YorkStatebusinesses to become certified
- Adopt reasonable regulations for use of placement agents in dealing with the state retirement funds
For more information on contract procurement legislation visit: www.bcnys.org/inside/contrcom.htm.